Blog Prompt #2: Who are the leading public intellectuals of our day?

To think of leading public intellectuals today was a difficult task.  I say this because I spend so much of my time trying to determine how I will convey information to an audience that quite often needs to be entertained more than they want to learn.  For me, educators carry a certain amount of the intellectual weight simply because they have an unknown audience that looks to them for information and wisdom.

My parents used to was a program called the Tavis Smiley Show when I was younger.  Listening to them have conversation about the topics and issues Tavis Smiley presented as well as the people he would have on his show is something that I think helped me to grow.  It is not that he was a leading intellectual, but he would raise issues and questions that could be answered by intellectuals which I then saw discussed by my parents and others.  I feel that there need to be more of these discussions today so children learn to speak up for themselves and issues they feel strongly connected to.

Comments

  1. I used to love Smiley and West when they were on WBEZ Sunday afternoons. It was a real disappointment when they took it off to make way for yet another youth-oriented "personal narrative" show (the Moth).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Op-Ed: Young man, how can I help you?

Blog Prompt #4: Is Polarization a Bad Thing?